The Digital Library : 2012 LAB Meeting
On April 19-20, 2012, ACM held the 2012 meeting of the North American representatives of the ACM Library Advisory Board at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City. It was attended by 21 participants total, including 7 members of ACM Staff.
- Carol A. Brach - University of Notre Dame
- Kathy Brost - Mentor Graphics Corporation
- Diane Cass - University of Rochester
- Sharon Dyas-Coreia - University of Toronto
- Ana Lucía Macías Chiu - Tecnológico de Monterrey, Mexico
- Dianne Dietrich - Cornell University
- Willow Dressel - Princeton University
- Diane Geraci - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Nancy Gibbs - Duke University
- Carol Hutchins - New York University
- PJ Purchase - University of Phoenix
- Victoria Reich - Stanford University / LOCKSS
- Greg Sorini - Qualcomm Library & Information Services
- Ed Wickersham - IBM Corporation
- Scott Delman - ACM
- Bernie Rous - ACM
- Wayne Graves - ACM
- Asad Ali - ACM
- Kevin Steiner - ACM
- Nolen Harris - ACM
- Emily Williams - ACM
The goal of this year's LAB meeting was to establish a forum to discuss issues impacting the library community in general and to provide ACM with guidance and feedback on a wide range of topics, including open access, pricing, publications, platform features & functionality, and licensing. This year's format was different than in past years in that members of the Board were asked to prepare presentations and lead the round table discussions with the group to foster a wider range of perspectives on each of the agenda items.
Over the coming days, a summary of the meeting will be posted on this site, as well as a number of the presentations made by members of the LAB and ACM Staff.
Thursday, April 19th, 2012
1:30 Opening Statement & Roundtable Introductions
2:00 Update on ACM & ACM Digital Library
2:30 Roundtable Discussion on the Library of Today & the Library of Tomorrow
3:45 Roundtable Discussion on the Impact of the Global Economy on Libraries
4:45 Roundtable Discussion on Building & Maintaining Library Collections
Friday, April 20th, 2012
9:30 Roundtable Discussion on Open Access & Implications for Libraries
11:15 ACM Publishing Policies, DL Business Model, & Pricing
12:00 ACM Digital Library Platform Developments
1:45 Roundtable Discussion on the Implementation & Use of Library Tools & Services
2:45 The Role of Consortia & Subscription Agents for Academic Libraries
4:00 Open Topics Impacting ACM & Library Community
Why I Belong to ACM
Hear from Bryan Cantrill, vice president of engineering at Joyent, Ben Fried chief information officer at Google, and Theo Schlossnagle, OmniTI founder on why they are members of ACM.
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.